UK’s snowboard and freeski elite will all be under one roof, throwing down some tight freestyle action to a crowd of thousands, as the Orange AIM Series presents the British Quarterpipe Championships at this year’s Metro Ski and Snowboard Show, London, on the 20th October, with the two most talented snowboarders provided entry into one of the highest ranking events on the World Snowboard Tour, The O’Neill Evolution.
The invitational contest at the London show will see 12 of Britain’s top snowboarders and 9 skiers, among them British Champions and Olympians, pull out all the stops to go higher, bigger and better in the race for the new, hotly contested British Quarterpipe Championship title and the opportunity to go on and compete on the World snowboard stage.
Three snowboarders and three skiers have been selected to compete in the event from the Orange AIM Series pre qualification Quarterpipe contest held in Warmwell, and three snowboarders and two skiers have been awarded wild card places by the AIM Series organisers and Media alike, enabling the collective crème de la crème of UK’s best to compete under one Roof.
Upgraded to one of only six 6-star TTR World Snowboard Tour events, the O’Neill Evolution will set the stage for UK talent to impress, giving them the opportunity to showcase their skills in front of thousands of people along with the World’s top riders and the chance to win part of the US$100,000 Prize purse. The top two winners from the British Quarterpipe Championships, the best senior and under 18 male snowboarders, will each receive; an open qualification spot, accommodation, hospitality and competition entry into the O’Neill Evolution in Davos, Switzerland on 2nd-7th January 2007.
Confirmed snowboarders are:
- – Dan Wakeham – Olympic Halfpipe 2006 placed 26th
- – Sam Cullum – Orange Brightest Talent British Championships 2006
- – James Mcelvaney – Zermatt Half Pipe Jam Champion 2006
- – Ben Kilner – World Cup Halfpipe 2006 placed 19th
- – Jamie Nicholls – U14’s British Big Air & Slopestyle Champion 2006
- – Dom Harington – British Halfpipe Champion 2005 & 2006
- – Mathew Gibson – (AIM Qualifier) AIM Series Quarterpipe Champion 2006
- – Sparrow Knox – (AIM Qualifier) U14’s British Artificial Big Air Champion 2006
- – Kevin Mills – (AIM Qualifier) Big Dream Slopestyle Champion 2006
- – Angus Leith – (Wild Card) Europa Cup Halfpipe 2006, placed 16th
- – Jack Shackleton – (Wild Card) Salomon Best Unsponsored rider, Orange Brits 2006
- – Colum Mytton – (Wild Card) Aim Series Rail Jam Champion 2006
The British Quarterpipe Championships at the Metro Ski and Snowboard show will begin with an afternoon qualifying event at 4pm on the 3m high snowflex quarter pipe, with the top half highest scores going through to the evening final at 7pm, concluding with an ultimate one run Super Final for the top two skiers and snowboarders. Along with the British Quarterpipe Champion’s tile the top skier and snowboarder will each receive a month’s worldwide holiday courtesy of www.seasonaires.com.
Advanced tickets for the Metro Ski & Snowboard Show are available for £9 through www.metroskishow.co.uk and Show & Party tickets for £15, which includes the Snowboard Club UK 2nd Birthday Party, which will take place after the finals of the Quarterpipe event.
Win weekend passes for the show here