The Burton US Open 2015 went down in Vail, Colorado last night, and it's safe to say it was one for the books. With a stacked startlist on one of the world's heaviest pipes, it's always a good way to send off the last Elite World Snowboard Tour competition of the season.
As T-Bird and Tim Warwood reminded us more than a few times, the riders tore up the rule book due to people hitting the ground like flaming zeppelins at various points over the competition. We're pretty sure Taylor Gold is a relation to the Hulk after taking a chest pulverising slam on his first run - not where the defending champion wanted to be on his defending round.
Over in the mens' finals, Taku Hiraoka's dominant run saw him take his first gold medal on a Elite level World Snowboard Tour competition. Taku's gone from 18th to 1st place in a mere 5 years since he first dropped into the Burton US Open pipe in Stratton, Vermont 5 years ago.
Taking the silverware was Arthur Longo, who in our opinion has been long deserving of a medal for a while now; his first hit will stick in our minds for months to come. Taking bronze was Ayumu Hirano with another stellar run of interstellar size.
Check the video above for the full halfpipe highlights from the Burton US Open 2015!
Burton US Open 2015 Women’s Halfpipe Results:
1. Kelly Clark, BURTON, 91.00
2. Chloe Kim, BURTON, 88.74
3. Arielle Gold, RED BULL, 83.87
4. Xuetong Cai, NIKE, 71.00
5. Hikaru Oe, BURTON, 62.62
6. Queralt Castellet, YONEX, 52.50
Burton US Open 2015 Men’s Halfpipe Results:
1. Taku Hiraoka, BURTON, 90.99
2. Arthur Longo, VOLCOM, 84.99
3. Ayumu Hirano, NIKE, 84.75
4. Jan Scherrer, NIKE, 78.62
5. Iouri Podladtchikov, MONSTER, 73.25
6. Christian Haller, BURTON, 67.87
7. Danny Davis, BURTON, 62.12
8. Taylor Gold, MONSTER, 61.12
9. Ben Ferguson, BURTON, 49.12
10. David Habluetzel, BURTON, 24.87