Red Bull Tribalquest photo contest, 18 – 22 February 2008, Nendaz
The 8 tribal leaders and their members have been declared. In February, photographers Myriam Lang-Willar, Jancsi Hadik, Nathan Gallagher, Klaus Polzer, Greg von Doersten, Marcel Lämmerhirt, Ruedi Flück and Roman Eggenberger will traverse the Valais mountains in the region of Nendaz as teams of three in quest of the three Ws.
Nature, snowboarding, skiing and photography combined with a clearly defined task within a specified time limit are their common bond. The only thing that differs is the way they see things. And that’s the point, for each team has four days to shoot six photos and capture the three Ws on film: Who am I? (portrait), Where am I? (landscape), What am I doing? (action) – photos that tell stories about people, adventurers, friendships and a life in and with nature.
7 are now 8
In the end, the event organisation committee decided to have six professional teams compete; in last year’s edition there were five profi teams. What’s more, 20 Public Contest applications from 4 different countries whirled in during the past weeks. The jury was indeed spoilt for choice. The final vote went to the two Swiss photographers Ruedi Flück and Roman Eggenberger. One of these two newcomer photographers – the one that can best convince the jury of professionals at the Red Bull Tribalquest, that is – stands to receive an internship of several months with the photo agency of the Red Bull Photo Files in the idyllic resort of Fuschl am See (AUT).
Passion for perfection
Four days, eight teams: each team comprised of one photographer, one snowboarder and one skier will set off in Valais mountains in the region of Nendaz. Their mission within these four days: each team has to capture three photos of the two riders in quest of the three Ws. The awards ceremony for the best photos will be held on the last day of the event (Friday, 22 February 2008) – at dusk, in front of the terrace of the Cactus Saloon in Nendaz.
TEAMS – RED BULL TRIBALQUEST:
Photographers and Riders
1) Myriam Lang-Willar (CH) ski: Andrea Binning (A) snowboard: Jessica Venables (UK)
2) Jancsi Hadik (CH) ski: Nicolas Falquet (CH) snowboard: Xavier De La Rue (F)
3) Nathan Gallagher (UK) ski: Pady Graham (UK) snowboard: Tim Warwood (UK)
4) Klaus Polzer alias Pepo (D) ski: Nico Zacek (D) snowboard: Andre Kuhlmann (D)
5) Greg Von Doersten (USA) ski: Phil Meier (CH) snowboard: Eric Themel (A)
6) Marcel Lämmerhirt (D) ski: Florian Wieser (D) snowboard: Alex Schmalz (D)
7) Ruedi Flück (CH) ski: Rolf Bissig (CH) snowboard: Clemens Jezler (CH)
8) Roman Eggenberger (CH) ski: David Ortlieb (CH) snowboard: Julian Fürsinger (CH)