Shaun White has taken the last spot of the starting list at the Nokia Air & Style 06 on December 2nd 2006, at the Olympic Stadium in Munich. He will fly in from the US for this event, his only contest in Europe this season, to complete a starting grid that is loaded with winners of Olympic Games, World Championships, Nokia Air & Style, TTR Championships, X-Games, European and U.S. Open. A starting field, one would hardly find at Olympic Games or World Championships.
Shaun White has been dominating snowboarding in the past years. Since his wins at the Nokia Air & Style in 2003 and 2004 he has taken a rocket-like career path, winning everything out there to win. Culminating in last years´ season, winning every contest he competed in, including the Olympic halfpipe contest, X-Games and Burton U.S. Open. Thus becoming snowboarding´s greatest superstar ever: He was on the cover of the Rolling Stone magazine, he was a guest at Jay Leno´s talk show and is a permanent guest on MTV.
At the Nokia Air & Style he will be competing with local heroes David Benedek and Christophe Schmidt, the U.S. riders Travis Rice and Andy Finch, reigning TTR champion Mathieu Crepel from France, the Austrians Sani Alibabic and Chris Kröll, the Swiss stylemaster Nicolas Müller and the strong Scandinavian fraction around last years´ winner Hampus Mossesson, Risto Mattila, Heikki Sorsa and double world champion Antti Autti.
Besides these world class snowboarders spectators will see a tremendous FMX contest, led by Nate Adams from the US and three top music acts – Billy Talent, SEEED and Milburn – will turn the venerable Olympic Stadium into a rocking pandemonium.
Starting grid Snowboard:
- Shaun White (USA): Olympic Champion 2006, X-Games Winner 2006, Nokia Air & Style Winner 2003 & 2004
- Antti Autti (FIN): Double World Champion 2005, 4th place Nissan X-Trail Jam 2005, FIS World Cup Winner 2004
- David Benedek (D): 6th place Nissan X-Trail Jam 2005, Rider of the Year 2002 & 2003, Nokia Air & Style Winner 2002
- Risto Mattila (FIN): European Open Champion 2006, US Open Champion 2005, 2nd place Nissan X-Trail Jam 2005, FIS World Cup Winner 2004
- Mathieu Crepel (F): TTR World Champion 2005/06, 2nd place Nokia Air & Style 2005
- Hampus Mosesson (S): Nokia Air & Style Winner 2005
- Nicolas Müller (CH): Nissan X-Trail Jam Winner 2005, 4th place Nokia Air & Style 2005
- Christophe Schmidt (D): 8th place Olympics 2006, Junior World Champion 2003
- Sani Alibabic (A): Austrian Masters Winner 2006, 4th place X-Games 2001
- Andy Finch (USA): O´Neill Snowboard Jam Champion 2005, Arctic Challenge 2004
- Chris Kröll (A): 7th place Nokia Air & Style 2005
- Travis Rice (USA): X-Games Winner 2002
- Marc-Andre Tarte (CAN): freestyle.ch Winner 2005
- Eero Ettala (FIN): freestyle.ch Winner 2006
- Torstein Horgmo (NOR): O´Neill Pro Freestyle Champion 2006
- Heikki Sorsa (FIN): 3rd place Nissan X-Trail Jam 2005
Photos by: Burton Snowboards.