I’m proud to introduce you to a young ripper called Niki Korpela who just got into the European Forum Youngblood team; getting his gear from Forum & Foursquare. Union Five snowboard shop in Helsinki/FI supports him with some VonZipper eyewear and other stuff. He’s already had his own ad in Slammer (a Finnish snowboard mag) — climbing out of a trashcan in the pic. So you can already guess that this guy is not made out of sugar, huh! He’s already been riding for 11 yrs (!) and began with the smallest board in the market at the time; a Nidecker frog board. Those days are long gone; this dude already knows how to impress the ladies and destroy hotelrooms — not to mention how to ride. Check him out!
1. Booyaka-sha Niki! Or should I call you “niG$on” or perhaps “Naali Niki” (naali=arctic fox) Who comes up with all these pet names for you?
UGH just like the indians say! Those names are written in the book of history. Hehe.. just kidding, I think my hockey-dad Rauli gave me those.
2. The first time I met you it was last Spring in Laax, when you were finishing a Forum photoshoot camp in Diedamskopf. How was that?
It was awesome! My first shoot ever… I’m sure you will see me there next year also…
3. Once leaving Laax we drove together to Innsbruck and had a good chat together. I must say that you are an extremely mature little dude and you come up with the funniest stuff to say! It was a blast to hang out with you even if I’m double your age. Have you always been this easygoing ?
Thanks to mom and dad… you guys rock! Well I always try to be as nice as possible to other people.
4. That’s a good attitude! You told me that when you were 15 yrs old, you and your friend took off to Sölden for a week, to ride? I think your mom said that if you get your grades up in school, you can go -and so you did. Tell us about that adventure? Anything funny happened?
Yeah, we had so much luck cuz I really suck in school (mom, I promise I will do my homework next year!). It was one of the best things in that year, because it was my first trip alone with my best friend Teemu. It was soooooo sick! And yeah one funny thing I have to say was that one day when we were building a backcountry kicker, one dude just popped out from nowhere and he started to speak very good english. When we had talked a while it figured out that he could speak over seven different languages (including finnish and chinese). He taught us some naughty words and then we yelled those to some local girls!
5. Uh, well good for you and the girls! You are off to The Netherlands soon to visit your friends that you’ve made through snowboarding.
That’s cool, huh? Making friends from all over the world while doing the dopest things like riding and skating?
That’s one of the best things in snowboarding I think!! But yeah I will go to meet Jesse Augustinus, the crazyest little guy I know in the whole planet!! I’m sure I will have some awsome time there.
6. What are your plans — you are only 16 yrs now — but where would you like to see yourself, snowboarding wise, in a few years?
My dream has always been to become a professional lapdancer! Sorry I ment snowboarder. So I hope maybe one day…
7. And finally — what’s most fun that you’ve done while on a snowboarding trip?
RUNNING NAKED AND throwing some rotten mandarines all over our fancy hotel room, making the great white walls turning orange!! PEACE OUT fellas!
Well — as you can see, this little gangsta seems to have it all and possibly more, what it takes to become that lapdancer — oops, sorry, pro rider…!
Photo creds: all by Niki’s best friend Teemu Terttunen besides the corner shot.